France’s controversial ban on wearing Islamic veils such as burqas and niqabs takes effect Monday.
A silent protest march against the burqa ban is planned for Monday morning in Paris.
The ban pertains to the burqa, a full-body covering that includes a mesh over the face, and the niqab, a full-face veil that leaves an opening only for the eyes.
The hijab, which covers the hair and neck but not the face, and the chador, which covers the body but not the face, apparently are not banned by the law.
“The ban does not target the wearing of a headscarf, head-gear, scarf or glasses, as long as the accessories do not prevent the person from being identified,” the Interior Ministry said in a statement
French Prime Minister Francois Fillon last month defended the ban as being in keeping with national values.
“The French Republic lives in a bare-headed fashion,” he said in an official government newspaper explaining the law.
The law imposes a fine of 150 euros ($190). The person breaking the law can be asked to carry out public service duty as part of the punishment or as an alternative to the fine.
The law was passed in October but included a six-month period to inform people of the penalty before it went into effect.
Penalties for forcing a person to wear a burqa are part of the law, and they became effective immediately in October.
Forcing a woman to wear a niqab or a burqa is punishable by a year in prison and a 30,000 euro fine (about $43,400). Forcing a minor to do the same thing is punishable by two years in prison and a fine of 60,000 euros.
The government has called this coercion “a new form of enslavement that the republic cannot accept on its soil.”
The practice has sparked a debate over religious freedom.
The French Constitutional Council said the law did not impose disproportionate punishments or prevent the free exercise of religion in a place of worship, finding therefore that “the law conforms to the Constitution.”
“Given the damage it produces on those rules which allow the life in community, ensure the dignity of the person and equality between sexes, this practice, even if it is voluntary, cannot be tolerated in any public place,” the French government said when it sent the measure to parliament in May of last year.
Lawmakers have also cited security reasons for forbidding people from covering their faces in public.
French people backed the ban by a margin of more than four to one, the Pew Global Attitudes Project found in a survey last year.
Some 82 percent of people polled approved of a ban, while 17 percent disapproved. That was the widest support the Washington-based think tank found in any of the five countries it surveyed.
Clear majorities also backed burqa bans in Germany, Britain and Spain, while two out of three Americans opposed it, the survey found.
Amnesty International had repeatedly urged France not to impose the ban, saying it violates European human rights law.
Source : CNN International
No Comments »
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL
Leave a comment
- 3d islamic wallpaper
- Afghanistan muslim girls
- Algeria Muslim
- Allah Miracle wallpapers
- Allah Wallpapers
- arab muslim girls
- Birds Wallpapers
- Chinese Muslim Photo
- desktop wallpaper
- Economic News
- Egypt Muslim
- EID 2010 Photos
- Eid Wallpapers
- Flood in Pakistan
- Health, Beauty and Islam
- Hindi News
- history of islam
- Home Page
- India muslim girl
- Indian News
- Indonesia Muslim Girl
- Iran Muslim
- Iraq Muslim
- islam religion
- islam symbol
- islamic art
- islamic books
- islamic calendar
- islamic calligraphy
- Islamic Cloths
- Islamic History Wallpaper
- Islamic Photos
- islamic places
- Islamic Sayeri
- islamic songs
- islamic video
- Islamic Wallpapers
- Israel Muslim
- Japan Muslim Photo
- Jordan Muslim
- kalima shahada mentioned in quran
- Karbala Photos
- kerala muslim girls
- Kissing Photos
- Latest News
- Latest Posts
- Malaysia Muslim
- Marriage And family
- marriage in islam
- MEHNDI DESIGNS
- Modern Muslim Women & Challenges
- Mosque Wallpapers
- Muharram Photo
- Muslim baby wallpaper
- Muslim Boys singapore
- Muslim Fashion Girl
- Muslim Girls
- muslim girls hijab
- muslim girls in bangalore
- muslim girls in china
- muslim girls in hyderabad
- muslim girls in pune
- muslim girls in uk
- Muslim Marriage photos
- Muslim Photo From Around the world
- Muslim Women World
- Na-at Sharif
- Nigeria Muslim
- Pakistan News
- Pakistan Photos
- pakistani girls
- Palastine muslim
- Palestinians Muslim
- Quran Quotes
- Ramadan Wallpapers
- Random 40 Hadith
- Saudi Arabia Muslim
- Saudi Arebia Girls
- Singapore Mosque
- Singapore Muslims
- single muslim girls
- South Korea Muslim
- Stories of sahaba
- Tajikistan Muslim
- tamil muslim girls
- Turkey Muslim
- UK Muslim
- United Arab Emirates
- Urdu News
- USA Muslim
- Women's Rights in Islam
- اسلامی تاریخی تصاویر
- اسلامی ڈیزائن گھر
- خوبصورت جگہ کا تصوير
- خوبصورت مسجد کا تصوير
- New programs under way to protect Islamic treasures
- HSBC Malaysia Sharpens Focus On Islamic Segment, More Products In The Pipeline
- Bossier City mosque vandalism gains national attention
- Grand Ayatollah Hossein Noori Hamedani Highlights Islamic Awakening a Blessing
- Bellville a ‘safe haven’ for Somalis
- They were commanded to worship but One Allah. There is no God save He, Allah.
- There is no God but He—The Living, The Eternal.
- There is no God Save Allah, and Allah is Exalted in power The Wise.
- Allah Himself is witness, there is no god but He. The angels and the men of learning too are witness.
- There is no God save He(Allah). It is He that gives both life and death.
- Why ARE so many modern British career women converting to Islam?
- Beaituful Indonasian Model
- Modern Indonasian Muslim Model
- Jobs, Women and Islam
- The Fight for Rights: Muslim Women
- Oppression faced by Muslim Women
- Muslim women as Wives
- Muslim Women and jobs in the modern World
- Muslim Women after 9/11
- The differences between Western feminism and Islamic feminism concerns the issue of veiling.
- Nice Woman photo
- Young Libyan Woman photo
- Veiled Yemeni women in computer class, Taiz Yemen.
- Yemen Mystery woman of Al Mukhala Fish Market
- Women Banned from American Court for wearing niqab
- Why does Taslima Nasrin want to burn the Hijab
- Walking to Change the World
- This lady has gone back to her native place in Andhra she visited my work place every Thursday
- These girls are just like any other girls in the world, they love to sit around and talk.
- The Muslim World Within a World
- Thai Muslim girls watch a Silat demonstration
- Surat Web Design
- Web Desgin Company
- kolkata Web Design Company
- One hopes good sense prevails all around. And amity and pea
- these are very nice and beautiful wallpapers..i really liked
- Assalam-o-Alykum & Hi, My name is Muhammad Ata-ul- haq S
- these are very nice and beautiful wallpapers..i really liked
- nice job......................
- nice work keep it up........................
- Sa pagkakaalam ko ang muslim bAwal mangmura,
- assalamu aleikum warhmatullah*mujhe ek assi muslima chahiye