Away from swank colleges and intimidating fee structures, a number of Hindu students in Bihar are lining up at madrassas to pursue higher education, thanks to revamped courses, nominal fees and job opportunities in the Gulf.
“I will complete Alim (equivalent to graduation) degree course from a madrassa. It is affordable and will provide an opportunity to enrich my knowledge,” 19-year-old Sanjay, the son of a Hindu trader in Bettiah district, told IANS.
Sanjay took the plunge after topping the Class 12 Maulvi examination conducted by the Bihar Madrassa Education Board in the non-Muslim category this year.
Sanam Kumari, 18, a Dalit girl, also joined a madrassa after she secured third rank in Maulvi exam.
Ask her why a madrassa and pat comes the reply. “My aim is to become an Urdu teacher,” says Sanam, the daughter of a farmer in West Champaran district.
Madrassa board officials say non-Muslims, particularly upper caste Brahmins in the Mithilanchal region of north Bihar, are keen on sending their children to madrassas to learn Arabic, Persian, Islamic traditions along with other modern subjects with an eye on jobs in the Gulf and in the embassies of Muslim nations.
The enrolment of Hindus at madrassas is increasing.
Maulana Ajaj Ahmad, chairman of the Madrassa Education Board of Bihar, told IANS: “Non-Muslims, particularly Hindu boys and girls in large numbers, are studying in different madrassas across the state. It is a positive development as their enrolment is increasing every year.”
The trend began about a decade ago. According to sources, Bihar has over 4,000 madrassas, including 1,127 state-run Islamic schools where students are provided free books and mid-day meals.
“After a few Hindu students passed from the seminaries, they propagated our humane approach. In fact, we are not teaching anything against any religion or anything anti-national as is claimed by some vested interests to defame us,” Ahmad said.
Hindu fundamentalist organisations have frequently accused madrassas, particularly those along the India-Nepal border, of being nurseries of terror.
“But after their children joined madrassas, Hindus are finding much to their surprise that these seminaries do not preach hatred towards them or their beliefs,” he added.
Ahmad said Hindu students were doing very good in board examinations. “A Hindu girl, Anjali Raj, secured the first rank in Class 10 (Fauquania) level examination in the non-Muslim category this year. Her performance was amazing,” he said.
Madrassa Board’s examination controller Mohammad Mustafa said like Muslim girls, Hindu girls have also outperformed boys in examinations held by the board.
This year, over 40 Hindu students cleared the Fauquania examination and 16 Hindu students cleared Class 12 (Maulvi) examination.
Ahmad said the seminaries attract both the elite and the downtrodden among Hindus. “Madrassas provide education at the doorstep free of cost, which is specially attractive to the poor and marginalised sections like Dalits and backwards.”
The state government recently decided to provide financial support to 2,700 unaided madrassas.
According to the first-ever status paper brought out by the Bihar State Madrassa Education Board, there are only 32 madrassas for girls under the government-aided category and 576 in the unaided category.
According to the 2001 Census report, Muslim women have a literacy rate of 50.1 percent in India. The situation in Bihar is even grimmer with the percentage dropping to 31.5 percent.
Though the central government began the process of modernising madrassas way back in 1994, the Bihar government introduced it in early 2002.
Under the modernisation scheme, the course was revised to keep it in tune with the curriculum prescribed by the Bihar School Examination Board and the Central Board of Secondary Education.
“Now we teach all the modern subjects, including the sciences, social science, mathematics,” Ahmad said.
Sanjay, who secured 893 marks in the Maulvi exam, said: “I will be entitled to a teacher’s job in government schools and will qualify for private jobs after I complete Alim. Besides, I can pursue an MBA as well.”
Source : Deccan Herald
No Comments »
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL
Leave a comment
- 3d islamic wallpaper
- Afghanistan muslim girls
- Algeria Muslim
- Allah Miracle wallpapers
- Allah Wallpapers
- arab muslim girls
- Birds Wallpapers
- Chinese Muslim Photo
- desktop wallpaper
- Economic News
- Egypt Muslim
- EID 2010 Photos
- Eid Wallpapers
- Flood in Pakistan
- Health, Beauty and Islam
- Hindi News
- history of islam
- Home News
- Home Page
- India muslim girl
- Indian News
- Indonesia Muslim Girl
- Iran Muslim
- Iraq Muslim
- islam religion
- islam symbol
- islamic art
- islamic books
- islamic calendar
- islamic calligraphy
- Islamic Cloths
- Islamic History Wallpaper
- Islamic Photos
- islamic places
- Islamic Sayeri
- islamic songs
- islamic video
- Islamic Wallpapers
- Israel Muslim
- Japan Muslim Photo
- Jordan Muslim
- kalima shahada mentioned in quran
- Karbala Photos
- kerala muslim girls
- Kissing Photos
- Latest News
- Latest Posts
- Malaysia Muslim
- Marriage And family
- marriage in islam
- MEHNDI DESIGNS
- Modern Muslim Women & Challenges
- Mosque Wallpapers
- Muharram Photo
- Muslim baby wallpaper
- Muslim Boys singapore
- Muslim Fashion Girl
- Muslim Girls
- muslim girls hijab
- muslim girls in bangalore
- muslim girls in china
- muslim girls in hyderabad
- muslim girls in pune
- muslim girls in uk
- Muslim Marriage photos
- Muslim Photo From Around the world
- Muslim Women World
- Na-at Sharif
- Nigeria Muslim
- Pakistan News
- Pakistan Photos
- pakistani girls
- Palastine muslim
- Palestinians Muslim
- Quran Quotes
- Ramadan Wallpapers
- Random 40 Hadith
- Saudi Arabia Muslim
- Saudi Arebia Girls
- Singapore Mosque
- Singapore Muslims
- single muslim girls
- South Korea Muslim
- Stories of sahaba
- Tajikistan Muslim
- tamil muslim girls
- Turkey Muslim
- UK Muslim
- United Arab Emirates
- Urdu News
- USA Muslim
- Women's Rights in Islam
- اسلامی تاریخی تصاویر
- اسلامی ڈیزائن گھر
- خوبصورت جگہ کا تصوير
- خوبصورت مسجد کا تصوير
- Allah! There is no God but He; Of surety, He will gather you together on the Day of Judgement.
- There is no God save He(Allah). It is He that gives both life and death.
- There is no God save Allah, and turn away from those who joins Gods withj Allah.
- He said: Shall I seek for you a God other than Allah.
- Which God other than Allah could restore them to you.
- Hadith of the ten promised paradise
- Tallha bin Ubaidullah (RA) – The Living Martyr
- Hazrat Abu Musa Ashaari (RA)
- Born With a True Soldier Spirit – The Noble Sa’eed bin Zayd (RA)
- The Boy Who Raised First Sword for the Cause of Allah – Zubair Bin-Ul-Awam (RA)
- Hadrat Ammar R.A. and his parent’s afflictions
- Why ARE so many modern British career women converting to Islam?
- Beaituful Indonasian Model
- Modern Indonasian Muslim Model
- Jobs, Women and Islam
- The Fight for Rights: Muslim Women
- Oppression faced by Muslim Women
- Muslim women as Wives
- Muslim Women and jobs in the modern World
- Muslim Women after 9/11
- The differences between Western feminism and Islamic feminism concerns the issue of veiling.
- Nice Woman photo
- Young Libyan Woman photo
- Veiled Yemeni women in computer class, Taiz Yemen.
- Yemen Mystery woman of Al Mukhala Fish Market
- Women Banned from American Court for wearing niqab
- Why does Taslima Nasrin want to burn the Hijab
- Walking to Change the World
- This lady has gone back to her native place in Andhra she visited my work place every Thursday
- These girls are just like any other girls in the world, they love to sit around and talk.
- The Muslim World Within a World
- Thai Muslim girls watch a Silat demonstration
- Surat Web Design
- Web Desgin Company
- kolkata Web Design Company
- One hopes good sense prevails all around. And amity and pea
- these are very nice and beautiful wallpapers..i really liked
- Assalam-o-Alykum & Hi, My name is Muhammad Ata-ul- haq S
- these are very nice and beautiful wallpapers..i really liked
- nice job......................
- nice work keep it up........................
- Sa pagkakaalam ko ang muslim bAwal mangmura,
- assalamu aleikum warhmatullah*mujhe ek assi muslima chahiye