Pakistan is decorating bus stops with Koranic verses and Islamic calligraphy to give a more spiritual flavour to the capital Islamabad, long considered one of the country’s most liberal cities.
The Capital Development Authority (CDA) plans to roll out 100 new bus shelters — known locally as sunshades — painted with flowers and religious verses to spruce up the 1960s purpose-built capital.
“The new sunshades will not only provide protection to commuters from inhospitable weather but will also project the art of Islamic calligraphy and our rich heritage,” CDA official Haji Mehboob Ahmad told AFP.
The CDA intends to erect 30 in the next two months, the hottest and wettest of the year as the monsoon season sets in, at a cost of 400,000 rupees ($4,700) each after the public responded well to a pilot programme.
Set up near Islamabad’s commercial Blue Area, not far from the seat of government, the first stop has been lavishly painted green, purple and yellow, inscribed with verses from the Koran seeking protection from evil.
The name of God has been painted in Arabic calligraphy and there is a public service message exhorting bus users to respect public property.
“This bus stand belongs to you. Please take care of this sunshade and keep your city green and clean,” the message says.
The project has attracted local press attention and residents said they were fans of the new shelters.
“It really looks great to see beautifully designed sunshades with calligraphic art,” said Imran Hussain, a telecommunications worker, waiting at the new bus stop surrounded by huge trees.
“I have decided to approach the CDA management to put up one in an area where I live. It really looks beautiful.”
The municipality, which is heavily committed to mega building projects such as new under-passes and fly-overs in the growing city of more than one million, says the bus stops have a practical benefit.
“These messages will be meant to enhance awareness among people on crucial issues of water conservation, sanitation and an anti-littering campaign,” CDA official Ramzan Sajid told AFP.
He said that the municipality was conducting detailed surveys to designate appropriate places for the new bus stops pending top-level approval.
The bus stop calligraphy inscribing names for God has been inspired by renowned Pakistani calligrapher and painter Syed Sadequain Ahmed Naqvi.
Known internationally for his skills, Sadequain is credited with something of a renaissance in Islamic calligraphy in Pakistan.
“We needed these sunshades to provide relief to commuters using public transport from harsh weather conditions and to project our rich Islamic heritage and message of Islam through Koranic verses,” Sajid added.
Talib Hussain, a bearded student at a local madrassa, is also a fan of the new bus stops. “It is kind of a prayer to see and read verses and the names of God written in calligraphic art on the sunshade,” he said.
Source : AFP
No Comments »
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL
Leave a comment
- 3d islamic wallpaper
- Afghanistan muslim girls
- Algeria Muslim
- Allah Miracle wallpapers
- Allah Wallpapers
- arab muslim girls
- Birds Wallpapers
- Chinese Muslim Photo
- desktop wallpaper
- Economic News
- Egypt Muslim
- EID 2010 Photos
- Eid Wallpapers
- Flood in Pakistan
- Health, Beauty and Islam
- Hindi News
- history of islam
- Home News
- Home Page
- India muslim girl
- Indian News
- Indonesia Muslim Girl
- Iran Muslim
- Iraq Muslim
- islam religion
- islam symbol
- islamic art
- islamic books
- islamic calendar
- islamic calligraphy
- Islamic Cloths
- Islamic History Wallpaper
- Islamic Photos
- islamic places
- Islamic Sayeri
- islamic songs
- islamic video
- Islamic Wallpapers
- Israel Muslim
- Japan Muslim Photo
- Jordan Muslim
- kalima shahada mentioned in quran
- Karbala Photos
- kerala muslim girls
- Kissing Photos
- Latest News
- Latest Posts
- Malaysia Muslim
- Marriage And family
- marriage in islam
- MEHNDI DESIGNS
- Modern Muslim Women & Challenges
- Mosque Wallpapers
- Muharram Photo
- Muslim baby wallpaper
- Muslim Boys singapore
- Muslim Fashion Girl
- Muslim Girls
- muslim girls hijab
- muslim girls in bangalore
- muslim girls in china
- muslim girls in hyderabad
- muslim girls in pune
- muslim girls in uk
- Muslim Marriage photos
- Muslim Photo From Around the world
- Muslim Women World
- Na-at Sharif
- Nigeria Muslim
- Pakistan News
- Pakistan Photos
- pakistani girls
- Palastine muslim
- Palestinians Muslim
- Quran Quotes
- Ramadan Wallpapers
- Random 40 Hadith
- Saudi Arabia Muslim
- Saudi Arebia Girls
- Singapore Mosque
- Singapore Muslims
- single muslim girls
- South Korea Muslim
- Stories of sahaba
- Tajikistan Muslim
- tamil muslim girls
- Turkey Muslim
- UK Muslim
- United Arab Emirates
- Urdu News
- USA Muslim
- Women's Rights in Islam
- اسلامی تاریخی تصاویر
- اسلامی ڈیزائن گھر
- خوبصورت جگہ کا تصوير
- خوبصورت مسجد کا تصوير
- UK: Islamic leader from Israel under detention in UK
- Islamic terrorism still a threat: Germany
- Dubai Islamic Bank unveils new concept Al Islami Private Banking branch
- Anger trails introduction of Islamic Banking
- FPI ‘Visits’ Nightclubs Ahead of Ramadan
- Your Allah is one Allah. There is no God save Him; Most Beneficient, The Merciful.
- He said: Shall I seek for you a God other than Allah.
- There is no God but He—The Living, The Eternal.
- They were commanded to worship but One Allah. There is no God save He, Allah.
- He said, there is no God except Him(Allah), in Whom the Children of Israel believe, and I am of those who submit unto Him.
- Why ARE so many modern British career women converting to Islam?
- Beaituful Indonasian Model
- Modern Indonasian Muslim Model
- Jobs, Women and Islam
- The Fight for Rights: Muslim Women
- Oppression faced by Muslim Women
- Muslim women as Wives
- Muslim Women and jobs in the modern World
- Muslim Women after 9/11
- The differences between Western feminism and Islamic feminism concerns the issue of veiling.
- Nice Woman photo
- Young Libyan Woman photo
- Veiled Yemeni women in computer class, Taiz Yemen.
- Yemen Mystery woman of Al Mukhala Fish Market
- Women Banned from American Court for wearing niqab
- Why does Taslima Nasrin want to burn the Hijab
- Walking to Change the World
- This lady has gone back to her native place in Andhra she visited my work place every Thursday
- These girls are just like any other girls in the world, they love to sit around and talk.
- The Muslim World Within a World
- Thai Muslim girls watch a Silat demonstration
- Surat Web Design
- Web Desgin Company
- kolkata Web Design Company
- One hopes good sense prevails all around. And amity and pea
- these are very nice and beautiful wallpapers..i really liked
- Assalam-o-Alykum & Hi, My name is Muhammad Ata-ul- haq S
- these are very nice and beautiful wallpapers..i really liked
- nice job......................
- nice work keep it up........................
- Sa pagkakaalam ko ang muslim bAwal mangmura,
- assalamu aleikum warhmatullah*mujhe ek assi muslima chahiye